How long does a business consulting project last?
The length of time of a business consulting project varies and based on a number of factors including:
- Business needs and challenges
- Size of the organization or team
- Scope of the consulting project
The length of our consulting engagements has varied from a few weeks for a quick training assessment to a few years for enterprise change management and business transformation initiatives.
How is the scope of a consulting project determined?
Depending on the business goals, challenges and size of the organization, a project scope is typically determined during the initial consultation sessions.
For complex challenges and enterprise clients, we typically recommend an assessment phase at the beginning of the project.
This ensures that we identify and prioritize everything correctly and develop the best solution to meet your goals.
What problems does business consulting typically solve?
Our business consulting solutions are designed to be flexible, targeted and modular to solve for countless challenges.
I’m concerned about travel costs. How much traveling will be required?
Because our success is dependent on your success, we stay very cost conscious. In fact, we try and eliminate travel as much as possible. It saves both money and time. We have worked hard to build a virtual and remote environment that makes this possible.
Depending on the goals of the project, some travel might be required. We will determine that together as we define the project plan and scope.
We are moving into our 15th year in the business. Not once has a client questioned any travel expenses with a project. If you have worked with consultants in the past, you know that is a phenomenal feat!
How are travel expenses calculated and billed?
This varies based on organizational guidelines and the type of travel. This will be outlined in the proposal and final contract.
In the most typical situation, we abide by your travel policies.
In some cases, we build travel costs into the consulting rates. We don’t typically recommend this approach, as it almost always costs you more.
Any travel expenses incurred since the previous invoice will be billed on the next invoice unless they are prepaid or paid directly by a client.
We never add administrative fees or surcharges to travel expenses.
How is a consulting project started and organized?
Although we customize just about everything to your business needs and goals, the typical consulting project is started and organized in the following ways:
- Initial consultation meeting(s) to determine your goals and current business challenges.
- If we require deeper information before or during building a proposal, we’ll have you sign a mutual NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
- We’ll develop a proposal that includes a SOW (statement and scope of work), pricing, timelines and any options or recommendations.
- Once the scope of the project is agreed, we’ll establish you in our systems and collaboration tools (if applicable). This will also include a regular communications plan and milestone reporting.
- We’ll work our brilliance to make you and your business shine.
- Towards the end of the project, we’ll finalize knowledge transfer so the results are sustainable. See: We don’t want to become dependent on a consulting firm. How does Intelivate keep that from happening?
Although we’ll do an official closeout of the project, we’ll always be checking in to ensure that everything is working the way it should and you continue seeing the results you expect.
Working with consultants shouldn’t be a hassle. We work with you and your teams to make sure the experience and process are great while working towards your goals and the operations of your dreams.
Do you do fixed price or time and materials contracts?
We do both.
Depending on the scope of the project, we typically develop fixed price contracts. This allows you to have a defined budget with no surprises.
Time and materials contracts are more appropriate for short-term consulting projects or projects that are more urgent and there isn’t the time to properly scope the core issue(s) during the proposal phase.
Do you offer volume or loyalty discounts?
Even if you’re a new Intelivate client, if the project scope is significant, we’ll build in volume discounts. These discounts will be clearly outlined in the proposal pricing.
Volume discounts can range anywhere from 5% to 30% of our typical consulting rates.